September 10-16 marks National Suicide Prevention Week.
Sept 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day.
Suicide is a topic we see all too often in the news. You may even know people who have tried and those who succeeded. Often times friends comment that they had no idea the person was unhappy or ever had those thoughts. I'm certainly no professional but I can assume that a great many of us have had at least one suicidal thought. The problem isn't the one. The problem is when it becomes all consuming. Sometimes you get so deep into your depression that you can't see how bad it is.
Plenty of things can lead someone to contemplate suicide including:
- Mental disorders
- Substance abuse
- Loss of job, financial security or relationship
- History of trauma or abuse
- Family history
- Cultural or religious beliefs
- Stigma associated with asking for help
I'm not a trained therapist by any means, but my door and inbox are always available. If you want to chat, I'm happy to listen and try to help/refer you as I can. I promise it's between us (unless of course I feel you are in grave danger of hurting yourself, in which case, I am calling someone).
Some warning signs of suicide:
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves
- Looking for a way to kill themselves, like searching online or buying a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Extreme mood swings
If you or someone you know is threatening to hurt or kill themselves, is looking for ways to hurt/kill themselves or is talking/writing about death, dying or suicide (that is out of the ordinary), please get help, talk to someone or call for help on behalf of someone.
The National Suicide Prevent Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 and is available 24 hours a day. They even have an online chat feature.